The oldest written document of the village's existance dates back to 1352. The Renaissance chateau towering over the village was built between 1553 - 1613. It was built in the 16th century in the Italian style by the architect Florián Griespech of Griespach - the chateau's exterior strongly recalls Italian castle architecture. The chateau has been owned by the Lobkowicz family since 1623.
The chateau in Nelahozeves serves as a part of the Lobkowicz collection of paintings including works of Antonia Canaletto, Peter Paul Rubens, Diego Valézquez and others.