Until the end of the 19th century there was no regulation on this part of the river and it was used by several millers and curriers. Part of the embankment was completed by 1903 and together with part of today´s Smetana embankment it was called the František Embankment. From 1912 until 1940 it held a name of František Ladislav Rieger, a Czech politician and publicist. During World War II the whole embankment along theVltava river was renamed to Reinhard Heydrich Ufer. After the war in 1945 it was changed back to the Rieger Embankment though only a yearl later it was renamed again, this time after the Communist president Klement Gotwald. After the Velvet Revolution the embankment was given the name of the first president of Czechoslovakia, Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk.